The Flood of 1955 — Proud Putnam today
By Ron P. Coderre
(Author’s note: It’s difficult to believe that it was 70 years ago this year that Putnam was destroyed by the unannounced devasting flood. The sun is shining brightly today and people are going about their business as usual. As I stand by the spot where the French River joined the Quinebaug, Riverfront Commons is bustling with shops and businesses. Putnam is a thriving community on a progressive rebound. As a remembrance of Aug. 19, 1955, I honor the community that is firmly rooted by the spirit of its people. This is the final installment.)
In 1955 approximately five miles north of Putnam almost directly up Church Street there was a small village that was part of Thompson called West Thompson. Most of the people who lived there attended Sacred Heart Church, the mission church of St. Joseph’s Parish. They lived essentially on one road that stretched from the church to the east and westward to the area of Church Street extension.
As the 14-year-old boy recalls the Quinebaug River was nothing more than a tiny stream as it ran through the village, with pastures on one side and the West Thompson Fire Department on the other. There was a little store, which was owned by Mr. Lavigne, called Lee’s Market where most everyone in the village bought their groceries. West Thompson was a typical New England village of the ‘50s era.
Today, that area no longer exists. It was taken by eminent domain by the Federal government to construct the West Thompson Dam, which created West Thompson Lake. From the top of the dam today, if you look north when the river is low, the road that went through the West Thompson village is still visible, although the bridge which traversed the Quinebaug near the fire house is no longer there.
The West Thompson Dam is part of a series of flood control dams that were created to prevent the disaster that occurred in Putnam on Friday, August 19, 1955 from ever happening again. Although the Quinebaug River occasionally rises as it passes through Putnam and over Cargill Falls today, the chances of another flood occurring, such as the one that took Putnam by surprise in 1955, are slim to none.
As the years slowly passed and Putnam began to get back on its feet, two generous people, Normand O. Larose and his wife Rose Bove Larose played a most important role in its redevelopment. At the urging of Mayor and later Governor John N. Dempsey and working closely with Robert “Bob” Bulger, the head of the Putnam Redevelopment Agency, the Laroses invested in their community of Putnam.
With their financial support and enthusiasm, the Putnam Shopping Center rose up from the ground much like the mythological phoenix. The shopping center would become the hub of the Putnam economy and the center of growth that pushed along the newly created Kennedy Drive.
Though the Putnam community has been through some ups and downs since 1955, there appears to be a new spirit that is present in the town today. Spurred on initially by the influx of antique stores, Putnam then witnessed a transition as a dining destination. Outdoor dining patios have become the rage, especially during the good weather months. Although there are some fine antique shops remaining, the community has seen a growth in the development of small shops, boutiques, the arts and entertainment.
The Theatre of Northeastern Connecticut occupies the Bradley Playhouse, which was also known as the Imperial Cinema. In the decades prior to and after the flood the theatre was a movie house that featured the latest in Hollywood productions. Today it features the best in Broadway productions spotlighting local acting talent.
Although many of the “olde towne Putnam” structures are still in use most are occupied by different businesses than were there in 1955. The Bugbee Corporation Department Store, “Putnam’s leading department store” in 1955, is now The Antique’s Market Place, home to nearly 50 antique vendors. The Cargill Trust Co. just south of the Congregational Church is now home to the Complex Performing and Creative Arts Centre.
The Putnam Shopping Center went through a major renovation and is thriving under the name of Riverfront Commons. Putnam Sales & Service on Bridge Street in 1955 changed its name to King Cadillac and GMC after the flood and eventually moved to Pomfret Street and was, a few years ago, purchased by Vachon. Weiss Super Market, once the largest food store in Putnam, is now a small grocery store known as Putnam Super Market.
Gone are the Putnam Hotel (fire of 1966), Putnam Drug and First National Store (now the location of The Courthouse Bar & Grill), A.J. Landry, City Beer and Ale, Laurion Cleaners, Rawley Plumbing, Gagne’s Drug Store, Western Auto, Sandy’s Woman’s Shop (now Woolworks), Wood-Shaw Optical (later Shaw’s and currently Wonderland Comics), Beausoleil Buick, Trudeau and Roy (now the unoccupied building at 88 Main Street), Chicoine Pharmacy, Putnam Furniture (now Bear Hands Brewery and other shops), Marion’s Food Store, Tess’s Snack Bar (now Gerardi Insurance/Hilb Group), Jules Home Supply, Henry’s Ice Cream Bar, Carroll’s Drug and Plantier’s Market (now Slice of Heaven Pizza). These were a sampling of the businesses that were backbone of the community in 1955.
bankHometown is now across from the Post Office and its former home is now occupied by Saw Dust Coffee House. Rucki’s moved to Pomfret and was recently sold to the owner of Putnam Super Market. Many other businesses are no longer in existence such as Gerardi’s Super Market, Pierre H. Myers, Grube Camera Shop, Modern Hardware, Benoit’s Inc., LaPointes Jewelers, Pigeon’s Barber Shop, Church Clothing, Yvonne’s Fashion Shoppe, Pevner’s Drug Store, Putnam Fruit (home to Hare and the House restaurant), The Bernice G. Delaney Agency, Briere Coal & Oil, Medbury & Trowbridge, W.F. Rafferty Plumbing, The Wheaton Building and Lumber Co., Wycoff Steel Co. and Toni’s Specialty Shop.
Cargill Chevrolet remains essentially in the same location although it has changed over the years as homes and businesses in the area of Livery Street were demolished. National Chromium Co. remains in operation on Senexet Road, while Smith & Walker and Gilman Funeral Home are still operating, though under different ownerships. WPCT is now WINY but remains 1350 AM and added recently 97.1 FM on the radio dial. George Gosselin Moving became Clemens and Son.
The Providence Pike (Route 44) is now “the strip” occupied by many of the “Big Box” stores. An Industrial Park off of Route 395, which wasn’t in existence in 1955, continues to grow with plans for the development of a Technology Park on the drawing board. The new Farmer’s Market is a welcome addition for farmers who remain active in the area.
Since 1955 many events and changes have taken place in Putnam. In 2005 the community celebrated its Sesquicentennial, thankfully without any residual effects such as occurred following the Centennial celebration in 1955. In 1955 the motto for the Centennial was Putnam, “A great past, a greater future.” That motto appears to be relevant even today. It and the spirit of our people continue to sustain and nourish one of Connecticut’s finest towns, Proud Putnam. As the community continues to evolve its slogan is, “Discover Putnam.”
.
caption, page 1
Some parts of Putnam did not return. Shown in this Aspinock Historical Society photo donated by Myrtle Bousquet, is Manhasset Co. village, around Canal Street. Pall Flex is in this area now. More photos inside and an extended photo array Wed. night on our FB page: Putnam Town Crier & Northeast Ledger.
page 2:
Another scene of what Putnam recovered from. Magnesium plant after the fire.
More to recover from. Providence Street rail bridge. Photo courtesy of Richard Potter.
This area of Livery Street is now recovered. Cargill Chevrolet.
page 3:
Canal Street recovered from this devestation after the Flood of 1955. The Odd Fellow block is on the left.
The area around Medbury and Trowbridge became part of the shopping plaza during redevelopment. Photo courtesy of Richard Potter.